Setting up a network and sharing internet

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 17:01:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 11:59:26AM -0400, Steve wrote:
> Is there a way where I would not require a crossover cable? Can I make my
> Linux machine a router, and would that mean I could use a normal ethernet
> cable out of the NIC port to run into the laptop?

The wiring is a function of the hardware.  Some network cards can do
auto MDI/MDI-X switching.  Many modern switches do so, and some higher
end network cards do.

Gigabit networks NEVER use crossoever cables.  Only 10/100 does.

The port wiring has nothing to do with what software you load, it is
just how the hardware is made.

Lennart Sorensen