Setting up a network and sharing internet

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 15:47:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:51:46AM -0400, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone give me a few pointers on setting up a network and sharing a
> dialup (don't laugh) internet connection? Here are my details:
>
> BOX#1:
> OS: Ubuntu 5.04 (Gnome)
> Modem: internal USR hardware (ppp0) INTERNET CONNECTION
> NIC: integrated NForce2
>
> BOX#2:
> OS: Windows XP
> NIC: integrated (IBM Thinkpad)
>
> 1. Do I require a "crossover" ethernet cable to connect BOX#2 to BOX#1?

Sharing dialup is no different from sharing DSL or Cable.  Box1 is
gateway of your internal network.  For 2 boxes only, you can use
crossover cable.

> 2. What is the best (most secure) way to share internet? NAT? DHCP?
> What steps are involved?

NAT and DHCP are two different thing.  NAT is for masquerading the Box2
as Box1 when connecting to Internet, so outside will only see one box,
ie. Box1.

> 3. Do I need to run samba to share files on BOX#1 with BOX#2?

Samba or NFS are the 2 things that comes mind.

> 4. Currently I am using Firestarter on BOX#1. Would it be better to
> use an iptables scipt? If so, does anyone have an iptables file that I
> can use for this purpose? Also, how do I enable iptables at boot time
> (instead of using "iptables-restore <file>")?

I thought 'iptables-restore' does exactly that.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell