X-rays and computers

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 14 19:52:32 UTC 2005

I googled for "computer monitor radiation" (without quotes). The first
pages that are shown is a mambo-jumbo. There is something about low
frequency electromagnetic fields from monitor. Silly. Low frequencies
have no effect at all on health, in this case. There is no mention of
X-ray radiation! And that one is strong, I have no doubts. X-rays are
produced when electrons traveling with a high velocity are stopped
abruptly (thats how it happens in monitors; this is also the physical
principle how X-rays generators are working).

Perhaps we should demand that producers of monitors should inform about
X-rays intensity these monitors generate? Better if they were able to
provide a 3D map of these intensities.

zb.

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
>  > [...]
>
>> To be fair, paper probably contains less than 1% radioactive carbon
>> which will probably emit the odd alpha or beta particle which is
>> 0.0000000000001% likely to cause leukemia or skin cancer. :-)
>

> A good point.
>
> Unfortunately, we do not really know how harmfull is using computers,
> especially for people like most of us on this list. Simply, there is no
> data on that, as far as I am aware of. But I have no doubts that sitting
> behind the monitor almost all the time is probably like to be exposed to
> X-rays at least a few times during the year. These using laptops are
> more lucky. Not mentioning demage that computer usage does to our
> psychic and interpersonal relations with these who do not care much
> about computers or the Internet...
>
> zb.
>
> P.s.: I am reading a lot of books but when going to my work, on subway
> or busses. These though are not technical books ;) When I am at home, I
> use the Internet only. rense.com (funny? - no!). Even Google News
> section (silly). rense.com is a good starting point for finding out
> other outstanding sources of alternative, non-corporately controlled
> information. Though they are a bit too leftist as for me, while I am
> looking for the truth.
>
>> Paul King

Zbigniew Koziol, SoftQuake^(tm) Open Source Business Solutions
Web Development, Linux, Web Mail Fax Voice Servers, Networking
Consultations, Innovative Technologies Tel/Fax: 1-416-530-2780
Toronto,  Canada,  http://www.softquake.ca,  info-lcEyp1+e+UdAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org