[Fwd: HLUG September Meeting - Special Guest Speaker]

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 12 04:17:59 UTC 2005

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Jennifer Harwood <harwoodj-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org>
To: hlug-announce-17grO+dxGucXhy9q4Lf3Ug at public.gmane.org
Subject: HLUG September Meeting - Special Guest Speaker
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:48:40 -0400

Hello Everyone!

I know this is really early for this mailing, but as we're having a special
guest speaker, I wanted to give you plenty of notice.  First, the nitty
gritty:

Location: McMaster University, Hamilton Hall Room 217
When: Wednesday, September 7, 7pm

Our guest speaker that night will be... (drum roll please!)... Ren Bucholz.

http://www.eff.org/about/staff/#ren_bucholz

Ren is the Electronic Frontier Foundation's Policy Coordinator, Americas.
He is based in Toronto where he works on international policy issues. His
primary focus is on Canada and South America, but he occasionally finds
himself in other places as well.

Ren will be speaking about pending Canadian policy fights that the EFF is
following.  The Canadian equivalent of the USA's Digital Millennium
Copyright Act DMCA, software patents and other topics pertinent to the
interests of both open source software users and those interested their
"digital freedom" will be discussed.

I hope you all can make it, I'm sure it will make for an interesting
evening.  And don't worry, I'll mail out again closer to the meeting
(although you should all be running to your calendar now to mark it down!
: )

Cheers,
Jennifer