Best Filesystems?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 10 23:02:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

On August 10, 2005 11:12, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about filesystem types. I've got an 80GB drive
> that I'm planning to reformat and install Ubuntu. I plan to create
> 3 partitions:
>
> 9.0 GB - For the OS and system files.
> 512 MB - SWAP (equal to amount of RAM)
> 70 GB - For user data files which will include many MP3s, OGGs and
> a few DVD rips (ie. mostly single large files > 1MB each)

I think putting all the OS and system files in one big partition is a
poor choice when you have room to spare on your disk. I typically
have the following partitions:

/boot - 100M ext2, ro, nomount - no need for journalling if you don't
mount the filesystem. The kernel is loaded before filesystems are
mounted so whether this filesystem is mounted or not makes no
difference.

/ - 300M ext3 - more than enough

For the rest, I use logical volumes because it gives me the maximum
flexibility. With conventional partitions, it is difficult to find
the sweet spot for partition size. I always found myself either
having too little or too much space. Using logical volumes gives me
the ability to resize filesystems and volumes to find the optimal
balance.

swap - whatever size you need it to be. There is no hard and fast rule
like in Windows where you have to make it X times the size of
physical RAM. If you have loads of RAM, you do not need as much swap.
If you do not have very much RAM, you may find it useful to have much
more.

/usr - size depends entirely on the machine - minimal installs, I
allocate 300M, ext3. A development machine which has a full blown GUI
and loads of developer tools might be 4GB. I can then mount /usr as
ro and remount as rw if I need to install more software later.

/usr/local - optional, mounted ro if present. If you have things that
you are installing from tarball and want to preserve them if you do a
reinstall/upgrade, you may want to have this as a separate partition.

/var - 400M, ext3, rw

/tmp - ext2 100M, rw on a personal machine, larger on a multiuser
server - Who cares about journalling temp files? Note, this will be
much too small for VMWare. VMWare's needs for temp file space grows
over time as you run the virtual machine so it is difficult to
estimate what it should be. VMWare Knowledgebase article 844 outlines
some strategies for dealing with this. I installed VMWare in my home
directory. I added: tmpDirectory = "/home/cilkay/vmware/tmp"
to /etc/vmware/config. Since /home is huge, I never ran out of temp
space on VMWare again.

/home - as big as you want it to be, ext3, rw.

With LVM, there is little reason to soak up every bit of disk space
right off the bat as you might do with conventional partitioning. You
can leave unallocated space in the volume group and grow the volumes
and filesystems as necessary down the road.

My objective with all the partions is to isolate those things that
change from those things that do not and to only mount those things
which change as rw.

> My question is which filesystems would be optimal? I'm used to
> ext3, but would ReiserFS be better for the OS/system files? Is ext3
> best for the large data files or ext2 or ReiserFS? If I
> occasionally boot from a liveCD I'd need to be able to have full
> access (R/W) to files on the 70GB partition.

ext3 seems to be a safe but lower performance choice. I've used
ReiserFS and have not had any problems with it. Some swear by it
while others swear at it. According to the Gentoo docs, XFS is
inappropriate for machines which do not have fast disk arrays and are
not connected to a UPS.

> Also, I will be using VMware 5.0 with windowsxp as Guest OS. Does
> anyone know if windows in VMware needs to be installed on a
> FAT/NTFS partition? As it is all virtual, I am assuming it can be
> installed on a linux filesystem.

You can create the virtual machine on any Linux filesystem. You then
create whatever filesystems you need for the target OS within that
VM.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay