Best Filesystems?

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 11 12:42:43 UTC 2005

On 8/10/05, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I think putting all the OS and system files in one big partition is a
> poor choice when you have room to spare on your disk. I typically
> have the following partitions:
>
> /boot - 100M ext2, ro, nomount - no need for journalling if you don't
> mount the filesystem. The kernel is loaded before filesystems are
> mounted so whether this filesystem is mounted or not makes no
> difference.
>
> / - 300M ext3 - more than enough
>
> For the rest, I use logical volumes because it gives me the maximum
> flexibility. With conventional partitions, it is difficult to find
> the sweet spot for partition size. I always found myself either
> having too little or too much space. Using logical volumes gives me
> the ability to resize filesystems and volumes to find the optimal
> balance.
>
> swap - whatever size you need it to be. There is no hard and fast rule
> like in Windows where you have to make it X times the size of
> physical RAM. If you have loads of RAM, you do not need as much swap.
> If you do not have very much RAM, you may find it useful to have much
> more.
>
> /usr - size depends entirely on the machine - minimal installs, I
> allocate 300M, ext3. A development machine which has a full blown GUI
> and loads of developer tools might be 4GB. I can then mount /usr as
> ro and remount as rw if I need to install more software later.
>
> /usr/local - optional, mounted ro if present. If you have things that
> you are installing from tarball and want to preserve them if you do a
> reinstall/upgrade, you may want to have this as a separate partition.
>
> /var - 400M, ext3, rw
>
> /tmp - ext2 100M, rw on a personal machine, larger on a multiuser
> server - Who cares about journalling temp files? Note, this will be
> much too small for VMWare. VMWare's needs for temp file space grows
> over time as you run the virtual machine so it is difficult to
> estimate what it should be. VMWare Knowledgebase article 844 outlines
> some strategies for dealing with this. I installed VMWare in my home
> directory. I added: tmpDirectory = "/home/cilkay/vmware/tmp"
> to /etc/vmware/config. Since /home is huge, I never ran out of temp
> space on VMWare again.
>
> /home - as big as you want it to be, ext3, rw.
>
> With LVM, there is little reason to soak up every bit of disk space
> right off the bat as you might do with conventional partitioning. You
> can leave unallocated space in the volume group and grow the volumes
> and filesystems as necessary down the road.
>
> My objective with all the partions is to isolate those things that
> change from those things that do not and to only mount those things
> which change as rw.
>
> ext3 seems to be a safe but lower performance choice. I've used
> ReiserFS and have not had any problems with it. Some swear by it
> while others swear at it. According to the Gentoo docs, XFS is
> [...]

Clifford,

Thanks for the detailed response, especially regarding logical
volumes. The biggest risk I've always seen in many partitions, is
wasting space (in the beginning) to not having enough space on a
particular partition after a period of time. Being able to shrink or
grow a logical volume as needed would alleviate that worry.

-Steve.
--
Mozilla Firefox -rediscover the web-