Install fest

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 9 11:38:15 UTC 2005

If I don't hear of any "show stopper" errors in the following by today noon
(Tuesday Aug 9, 2005) I will submit the following as our install fest flyer
to Centennial this afternoon. Yes, it might be nice if we had more GTALUG
related e-mail addresses, but we need something fast...

-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Free Linux Installfest

Curious about Linux but do not know where to start? Ever wanted to play with
Linux but had problems getting it installed? This is your chance to have a
volunteer from the GTALug (Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group) guide you
through the available options and help you to install Linux on your
computer.

Cost: No charge
When: Saturday August 27th, 2005
Where: Room 418, 755 Morningside Avenue (the Centennial HP Science and
Technology Centre)
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. To register: register-+7+y8uhm9Opg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Details: http://gtalug.org/events/installfest

While the Installfest is free, you are responsible for paying any parking
charges.
- If you wish to join GTALug <http://gtalug.org>, you may do so at the
Installfest for $20 annually Students $10
- There will be Linux distributions on CD media for $10 per set available on
a first come, first served basis. Quantities are limited.

- If you wish to bring more than one computer onto which you wish to have
Linux installed, feel free to do so but be advised that any additional
installations beyond the first will only be done if time permits.
- Installations will be done on a first come, first served, best efforts
basis as time permits with no guarantee of success.
- Distributions we will be installing include Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, and
Mandriva but others may also be available.
- There is always an element of risk when installing an operating system.
Centennial College, GTAlug, and the volunteers, jointly or severally, do NOT
assume any liability whatsoever for data loss, damage to your system, or any
other losses. You will be expected to sign a consent form at the Installfest
authorising the volunteer to install Linux on your computer(s) and releasing
the aforementioned parties from liability before proceeding with the
installation.
Pre Installfest checklist
- Perform a back up of your computer. This is essential!
- Defragment your hard drive and set aside at least 3GB of disk space.
Create new partitions by resizing pre-existing ones, if you can. Do not
worry if you do not know how to do this. Someone at the Installfest can do
it for you.
- Tell us about your level of Linux experience.
- Let us know in advance if you have a particular Linux distribution you are
interested in having installed and we will try to accommodate you.

- Let us know in advance about the chipset, model number, age, or other
pertinent details about the hardware in your computer, especially graphics
adapters, wireless network cards, PXE boot capabilities, and SATA
controllers, if you can. If you can print those details and bring them with
you to the Installfest, all the better. If possible, search the web for
Linux compatibility information for your hardware.

Bring power cords and manuals for your hardware.

Some CRT Monitors, PS/2 mice and keyboards will be available. If your
computer uses LCD or USB peripherals, or any unusual hardware, bring it with
you.

If you would like to volunteer at the Installfest, please email:
volunteer-+7+y8uhm9Opg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org