Monitor correction chart?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 8 17:29:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 10:28:41AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I don't know whether this question belongs on a computer group or a
> digital photography group, but here goes.
>
>   Having recently bought a digital camera, I'll admit to taking the
> (ahem) occasional (cough cough) not-quite-perfect picture that needs
> some touching-up.  I'm starting to play around with GIMP, and getting
> half-decent at fixing up under-exposed shots.  I can make it look good
> on *MY* computer monitor.
>
>   This raises the question of whether there is a "test pattern" for
> monitors like http://www.high-techproductions.com/colorbars.htm for TV.
> You'd need a paper printout and a digital file.  Getting the paper
> printout right might be a bit expensive.

Hmm, I think personally I might try calibrating against a DVD with color
bars and some grey patterns for setting the brightness.  That's how I do
the TV, might work for the computer, although TV and computers don't
necesarily want the same thing.  I remember Adobe has some program with
photoshop for setting up the screen reasonbly well I think, not sure
what something similar would be.  Can't control what other people's
monitors are set to of course, but that is quite literally their
problem and there is nothing you can do about it.

Perhaps one of these would help you: kgamma displaycalibrator.app

>   Talking about computer monitors in general, is it just me, or has
> anyone else noticed that LCD displays seem to default to being *DAMN*
> bright?  When I got one at work, the first thing I did was to crank the
> brightness way down.

They like advertising high contrast ratios.  That probably requries a
crazy maximum brightness to pull off.

Lennart Sorensen