any suggestions for linux compatible laptop projector remote?

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 5 01:29:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Colin McGregor wrote:

> I sent this out earlier and it appears to have fallen
> down a TLUG black hole.... Anyway, I have been looking
> into Linux Infared stuff for other reasons, and you
> may want to look at:
>
>    http://www.lirc.org
>
> These people note where you can buy Linux compatible
> IR receivers, as well as they offer plans for 4
> different types of IR receivers (which their Linux
> software supports). The receivers are (in order of
> complexity/cost to build):
>
> - A serial port receiver that is NOT fully RS-232
>   compatible, but close enough it will work with MOST
>   PCs (and VERY simple to build).

Thanks very much. This "VERY simple to build" one sounds good to me, but I
can't quite figure out which model your pointing to. Is it a commercial or a home brew?
Generally, I got the impression that www.lirc.org was more for experts
than for newbies. For example, under documentation they have the warning
that "Setting up LIRC currently is not an easy task". Maybe there isn't an
easy way to do this yet? I was hoping it might be like the situation for
printers, where some are difficult to use with linux but others work
without much trouble.