Semi-OT: Database for "average" users

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 30 18:00:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 01:43:18PM -0400, Kevin C. Krinke wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 13:28 -0400, Byron L. Sonne wrote:
> > That's the right approach, but I'm curious why more people seem to reach
> > for MySQL first as opposed to another, such as PostgreSQL. It just
> > happened to be the first one I was exposed to in a powerful way by
> > someone who became a mentor to me, but if it wasn't for that I could've
> > easily gone the MySQL route.
>
> For me there is no real reason for choosing MySQL aside from comfort
> level. I've fiddled with enough Free Software projects that use it that
> it just became the natural/instinctive choice for me.
>
> Even though MySQL lacks a lot of the features (triggers, etc) that
> PostgreSQL has over it, I haven't really needed anything more advanced.

What you have pointed out though is what most developers like most of MySQL. It stores data. It doesn't try to do anything fancy. 99% of all problems that need a database need it as a virtual closet: a place to put stuff in, in some kind of order that makes it easy to find later.

And like a closet many databases end up being the place where all the trash no one wants to throw out is stored, and very messy because the original ordering doesn't really apply for what its used for.

Bill