Semi-OT: Database for "average" users

Kevin C. Krinke kckrinke-eqjHHVKjh9GttCpgsWEBFlaTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 30 17:43:18 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 13:28 -0400, Byron L. Sonne wrote:
> That's the right approach, but I'm curious why more people seem to reach
> for MySQL first as opposed to another, such as PostgreSQL. It just
> happened to be the first one I was exposed to in a powerful way by
> someone who became a mentor to me, but if it wasn't for that I could've
> easily gone the MySQL route.

For me there is no real reason for choosing MySQL aside from comfort
level. I've fiddled with enough Free Software projects that use it that
it just became the natural/instinctive choice for me.

Even though MySQL lacks a lot of the features (triggers, etc) that
PostgreSQL has over it, I haven't really needed anything more advanced.

Basically... this amounts to "the path of least resistance" and the "if
it's good enough for them it's good enough for me (until I need
something more)" mentality.

--
Kevin C. Krinke <kckrinke-eqjHHVKjh9GttCpgsWEBFlaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
Open Door Software Inc.