Any Recommendations for Linux Friendly Digital Still Camera?

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 28 15:25:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:46:11 -0400
jim ruxton <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for a 4 or 5 MegaPixel camera to be controlled by linux. I
> want to be able to take a picture and download it from a camera to a PC
> once a day using a script. Any recommendations on a camera?
> Jim

Jim,

   When I got my Canon S400, my copy of Gphoto did not support it, although it supported earlier models.  I had some ability to take photos remotely from the GIMP.  When I updated Gphoto to a version that supported the S400, this ceased to work.  This has not been a problem for me, since I prefer to move (mv) files directly off the flash card, preserving the time stamps applied by the camera.

   Maybe the newer versions of gtkam will work better.

   Can you get at a laptop to test the cameras in the stores?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org