Modem in Novell Linux Desktop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 27 12:59:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:23:00PM -0400, Steve wrote:
> I've installed Novell Linux Desktop (freebie from the expo) and am having trouble getting my internal USR hardware 56k modem to work. It's worked fine in Knoppix, Slax and Fedora...
>
> Yast says it cannot detect even after setting it to /dev/ttyS4 (also tried creating a softlink pointing /dev/modem to ttyS4). I still have Fedora Core 3 installed on another partition... can I copy anything from there to help?
>
> Thanks for any help!

What does dmesg say it detected on boot as serial ports?

Is the idiotic 'PnP OS Installed' option turned off in the bios like it
should be?

What does lspci show?  How about lspci -n?

It is possible that the kernel you are runing does not have pci serial
device supported compiled in (it would be odd, but possible).

Lennart Sorensen