IRC ????

Pavel Zaitsev pavel-XHBUQMKE58M at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 25 21:02:46 UTC 2005

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

>And perhaps you have not figured this out yet but dictating who should or
>should not respond to a message or what are suitable topics for discussion or
>not, is not up to you, or me for that matter.
>
>If we cannot articulate why this is important and how this meets some unmet
>need, why should anyone volunteer? How would this IRC channel differ from the
>one that already exists, #toronto-lug, which I have visited before but never
>found particularly useful? Just because it can be done is not a good enough
>reason to do it. Why not just point people to existing channels, like
>##linux, #debian, #gentoo, #fedora, #mandrake, #toronto-lug, #whatever for
>help.

#toronto-lug is not very populated, but its nice to have some semisocial
hang
out for nerds. I think running own irc server has a host of
legal/technical issues
for tlug itself. Since such servers can be used for botnets/warez/m0vieZ
distribution.
I'd say someone who is l33t enough to know ins and outs of setting up server
and plugging all unneeded features should come forward. Otherwise
#toronto-lug on freenode IMO should be used as official hangout.
Often too such nets if not restricted to small group can be target of
DDoS. Just a
nature of social layout of people who use irc technology.

#toronto-lug motto is "idling is strongly encouraged".
regards,
pavel