Unicode-aware text editor; suggestions?

John Vetterli jvetterli-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 22 13:31:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Madison Kelly wrote:
>  I've started using unicode (french symbols and Japanese kana/kanji
> characters) in my program (I'm working on the translation code). I very
> quickly found that nedit will show anything other than ASCII as garbage.
> Gedit will display the characters but as often as not I get an error when
> trying to save files with international characters in it.

Just out of curiosity, what locale settings are you using when you run
gedit?  If you change things to use utf-8, (e.g. export LANG=en_CA.UTF-8),
does gedit save the international characters properly?

I ask because glib (used be gedit) likes to convert its data to the
locale's character set when writing to a file, so even though it could
handle international characters internally, if your locale's character set
is (for example) iso-8859-1, and characters that don't exist in iso-8859-1
will cause problems.  So I'm guessing that changing the locale to use
utf-8 would solve your problem.

HTH
JV