Unicode-aware text editor; suggestions?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 22 14:47:45 UTC 2005

John Vetterli wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Madison Kelly wrote:

>>  I've started using unicode (french symbols and Japanese kana/kanji
>> characters) in my program (I'm working on the translation code). I
>> very quickly found that nedit will show anything other than ASCII as
>> garbage. Gedit will display the characters but as often as not I get
>> an error when trying to save files with international characters in it.
>

> Just out of curiosity, what locale settings are you using when you run
> gedit?  If you change things to use utf-8, (e.g. export
> LANG=en_CA.UTF-8), does gedit save the international characters properly?
>
> I ask because glib (used be gedit) likes to convert its data to the
> locale's character set when writing to a file, so even though it could
> handle international characters internally, if your locale's character
> set is (for example) iso-8859-1, and characters that don't exist in
> iso-8859-1 will cause problems.  So I'm guessing that changing the
> locale to use utf-8 would solve your problem.
>
> HTH
> JV

I just installed FC4test2 (which doesn't come with nedit, hence my
motivation to find something new) and it's shell is set to

[madison at akane cgi-bin]$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

Out of curiosity now I will reinstall nedit from source and see how it
treats kana/kanji/french characters now. I wish I had thought to check
it before re-installing. On my FC3 server though the character set is
also 'en_CA.UTF-8' so I imagine that is what it was before.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep you (and the list) posted.

Madison