(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 22 04:13:42 UTC 2005

On 4/21/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> One recurring theme during Linux World Trade Show was "What does TLUG do
> for me?"  This was a difficult question to answer.  There are things
> that TLUG does, of course, such as
>     - presentation by speaker
>     - beer
>     - Q&A during the meeting and on mailing list

There, that wasn't so difficult to answer, was it? ;-)  All provided
free of charge (except for the beer), by people volunteering their
time and knowledge.

> But, definitely, not worth $20 membership.  People truly don't give
> shit about the laundry list of expenses.  "Your expense is your
> business.  What do I get for $20?" is people's bottom line.

As it rightly should be.  People want to see some return on their
investment, on their dollar.  Currently, the investment is time, the
time we take to go to the meetings, listen to the speaker, and learn
something new.  Maybe that will lead to them being a speaker, or
contributing in some other way.

What expenses are there on the normal TLUG meetings?  The facilities
are free, and the speakers are volunteers.  Where are the costs?

I don't agree with your statement about people not caring about
expenese.  I feel that they just don't know where the money is going.
If you actually had a plan , a "business case" if you will, that
outlines what this membership money is going for, and people can
readily see it, then I think you wouldn't have a problem with people
paying a membership fee for TLUG.  The problem is that there is no
plan, at least, none that has been communicated to the TLUG members so
far.  And by members, I mean the only real list of people who
participate in TLUG, this mailing list.

For example, the membership form states that there is a
"Constitution", and that by becoming a member, one has to abide by it.
 But every time I ask someone about it, where can I get a copy of it
to read, I either get the "I dunno" shrug, or a "yeah, that's a good
idea, we should make that available."

Not once has any kind of statement of direction been posted here to
the "real" TLUG members.  Sure, I have heard of things like the need
to incorporate TLUG, or paying for things like power at Linuxworld or
other conferences.  But I have never seen anything here on this list.
Nor have any solicitations for the so-called Executive Board been
posted here either.

To me, it seems like a small number of people in TLUG have some sort
of vision as to where the LUG should go, but are too afraid to share
it with the rest of us.  Maybe they are afraid of the debate that will
undoubtedly arise.  I don't know.

This whole thing should really be the topic of a TLUG meeting, or at
least half.  Maybe a tech talk at the start, and then a more
"administrative" or "directions" talk at the end.  Or even a forum
where people can give suggestions or ideas for improvement or future
events.

> Social component of TLUG meetings works only for core people, and even
> this works only up to certain size.  This is why TLUG has not grown,
> considering Toronto's population and increasing Linux awareness.

To be frank, there is no real social component of TLUG.  Yeah, sure,
you can go out to the pub after the meeting.  But many members have
families, jobs, and lives that they have to get back to, or have other
reasons why they can't stay late.  The social part should be a
component of the meetings.  Maybe not every meeting, but at least
every other one.  The reason why you have only "core" people
socializing is that no one knows who anyone else is!  This is the
impression I always got.  Some people find it very intimidating; I
know I have in the past.

The other problem, mostly rectified these days, is the bad reputation
that TLUG has regarding people asking questions on the mailing list,
and the way certain members treat the speakers.  I know that the worst
offenders no longer frequent the list, but there was considerable
damage done.  I bet alot of people don't bother getting involved
because they figure the list is full of self-righteous nerds who's
first response to a question is "RTFM you newbie!", or "Get lost, you
don't know anything!  I've been using Linux since <insert date here>."
 Not exactly the best etiquette or attitude for a user group.

> We also need to get our acts together.  With that in mind, I would like
> some feedback as to what we can do to bring new people in to TLUG.
>
> 1.  I've been chewing the idea of tutorial-style meeting for some time.
>     The collective experience and knowledge of TLUG members are pretty
>     impressive.  There are some things that each person knows quite
>     well.  And, it would be nice to see if we can arrange some kind of
>     "tutorial" for the benefit of others.

You mean some sort of "HOW-TO" or cookbook style presentation?  Where
you outline the main points of how to get something to work, or
configure something, or install something?  I like it.

>     A narrowly focused subtopic would be better suited.  For example,
>     Python is too big to chew in one sitting, but Python interface to
>     PostgreSQL might be narrow enough for single tutorial, ie.
>         - modules you use,
>         - parameters available,
>         - syntax, and sample usages

Sure.  It also helps if it's something more of a "practical" nature,
that people can relate to, and perhaps apply to something.

> 2.  What do you think of collecting $1 from all attendees of the
>     meeting, instead of $20 annual membership?  They do that in
>     churches (I've heard), so I shouldn't be accused of being a Hun
>     anti-christ or something.

Before you start asking for money, come up with a plan for this money,
and state it publicly, either to the list, or on the web site, or
both.

What about a swap meet?  We can all get together, bring all the
computer crap we have stored in our closets and basements, and trade
with each other!  Just like the old TPUG swap meets of my youth; they
were great!

Also, what about a summer barbeque?  A social gathering, somewhere
like Center Island?  Burgers, hot dogs, pop, and Linux?

pm

--
Paul Mora
email: paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org