what does a system administrator do?

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 19:51:12 UTC 2005

Franco,

There are, from my view, a few things in no particular order that you
should be doing but didn't mention.

1. Backups!  Maybe they're happening but if they're not, do it.  And
make sure to test them from time to time to make sure the backups are
working as expected.  Students (and teachers) will be very grumpy if
they loose work/email/whatever because a HD died and you didn't have backup.

2. Software updates.  Get on the mailing list of RHEL updates and be
sure that you know when security critical package updates are released
and that you a) know if it applies to your machines and b) update as
soon as possible if it does.

3. System monitoring.  Occasional checks on server system logs for
unusual behaviour, error messages and other things.  Utilities like
logwatch are helpful here.

These things are, however, largely passive and won't consistently
require 10-15 hours per week.  Most of your time will likely be spent
doing exactly what you have been, helping users.  And, every now and
then, something will blow up and you'll spend 40 hours one week fixing
things.

Regards,
Marcus