what does a system administrator do?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 19:42:50 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Franco Saliola" <saliola-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 3:26 PM
Subject: [TLUG]: what does a system administrator do?

> What should a system administrator be doing? Or what is expected of a
> system administrator?
>
> Do you have any suggestions for resources for a good administrator
> book (with an emphasize on security preferably)?

Shhhh... You're not supposed to ask these kinds of questions. Places like /.
and theregister are what you are supposed to be doing.

But seriously. I'm in a position somewhat similar to yours (except that the
lab I'm in is MS based which presents the challenge of getting them to
switch). Have you got a backup system in place? Checking logs regularly
etc.? I think part of the reason that the hours are so few is that, once up
and running, things tend to not break too often and require little
maintenance (I have the added advantage of having to defragment a terabyte
of storage weekly which looks great in the week's report).

My 1 cent (I can't afford 2 today, I'm broke).