Libranet 3.0 out

dan sinclair zero-zgL5Owk5LsjZLAS6AT9qEw at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 17:54:12 UTC 2005

> When I switched from Redhat to Debian, I was open minded and took the
> time to find where everything was on Debian, and overall I came to find
> Debian more consistent with it's placements (no wonder given they have
> policies on where everything should go based on what it is).  I can't
> imagine going back to redhat anymore.  Redhat would move things between
> releases quite often.  Debian doesn't seem to do that.

It was more a matter of having x amount time and when I tried to do something having to go searching for the answer. I'm not saying redhat does its config right, I'm just saying its easier, for me, to move from redhat to gentoo then redhat to debian.  As a friend of mine said, debian laid out similar to solaris, which redhat isn't.

> Well when Debian 3.0 was release, the software in it was quite up to
> date and everyone was so happy about it since it was so much newer than
> everything in 2.2.  So why is it all of a sudden not good enough
> anymore?  Why does your server need apache2?  Many people still don't
> think it's reliable enough for production ues.  You can always install a
> backport (or make a backport) if you really need a newer version of
> something.  I have done so lots of times myself.  I know what works in
> 3.0 stays working and the only stuff that changes is what I want to have
> changed.  How many IT people were annoyed at the constant stream of
> updated redhat kept releasing (before suddenly deciding no updated of
> redhat was a better idea and discontinued it).

I haven't touch Debian in years, so I'm not really talking about any specifc version. When I used it I just remember having to go to unstable to get anything relitivly new. Maybe that isn't the case now.

> Well that's the main argument people have for it (and certainly the
> worst one given I don't believe it at all based on personaly experience
> compiling stuff from source).  The init scripts system someone else
> described on the other hand does sound rather nice.  Someone should
> package that for Debian. :)

I agree, going to gentoo just because you think it will run faster isn't a great idea. As far as I know, gentoo can do binary packages too. Tho I don't think their used as often as compiling everything.

dan