growisofs and long filenames

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 11 23:26:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 05:06:42PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 04:10:24PM -0400, William O'Higgins wrote:
>> I think that I'd doing something wrong with growisofs to burn data DVDs.
>> I ant to put a mess of files onto a DVD, and that works, but it
>> consistently truncates the filenames to 8.3 format, which is, of course,
>> crap.

>Well it should work.  It does here.  What do you test on?

I'm running an up-to-date Debian testing system, with a DVD burner that
I bought for $60 (!) at Canada Computers last week.  Your basic +/- dual
layer jobie.

My test disc copied oddly - my directory of MP3 files - all the files
are there, and they all play, but the M3U tags have, in some cases
(about half) gone wonky (or just gone) and the filenames are truncated.
I wanted to try again, so I ran this:

growisofs -dry-run -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /home/media/

And the output is this:

Executing 'mkisofs -R -J /home/media/ | builtin_dd of=/dev/dvd obs=32k
seek=0

And then a couple of pages of this:

Using DIGGI000.MP3;1 for
/home/media/folk/digging_a_hole_to_china__ian_north.mp3

Which is, as I understand it, not supposed to happen.  Any suggestions?
Thanks.
--

yours,

William