growisofs and long filenames

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 11 21:06:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 04:10:24PM -0400, William O'Higgins wrote:
> I think that I'd doing something wrong with growisofs to burn data DVDs.
> I ant to put a mess of files onto a DVD, and that works, but it
> consistently truncates the filenames to 8.3 format, which is, of course,
> crap.  I've tried these commands, but all of them still shorten the
> filenames:
>
> growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files # Rock Ridge and Joliet

That one always works here.  That is assuming the target system has
enough clue to support either rock ridge or joliet extensions.

> growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R /some/files # Rock Ridge

That does 8.3 and rock ridge extensions (so linux and most other unixes
will get unix permissions and long filenames).  MacOS X may also read it
properly, although I have never tried.

> growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -J /some/files # Joliet

That does 8.3 and joliet extensions (for long names on systems that read
Joliet like win95 and up, and Linux and probably a few others).

> growisofs -Z /dev/dvd /some/files # no idea

That will do just 8.3 filenames.

> Is there something I'm missing?  Thanks.

Well it should work.  It does here.  What do you test on?

Lennart Sorensen