cpuspeed

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 2 01:34:25 UTC 2005

---- Original Message -----
From: "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Friday, 01 April, 2005 16:02
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: cpuspeed

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 02:38:42PM -0500, Francois Ouellette wrote:
> > I know there were a few things posted recently on this subject, but
> > does anyone know how this thing works? I use FC3 on a ThinkPad with
> > a P-III mobile, the DRIVER entry in /etc/cpuspeed.conf shows
> > "powernow-k7" but changing the value does not seem to make any
difference.

> > The acpi functions works, we can see the state of the AC power from
> > /proc/acpi, but cpuinfo always shows the processor running at half its
> > speed.
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated!
>
> Well powernow is of course AMD's system.  I guess you want something
> that supports SpeedStep, which I think recent kernels have options for
> supporting.  cpudyn might be helpful:
>
> Package: cpudyn
> Section: admin
> Installed-Size: 120
> Maintainer: Celso Gonz\uffff\ufffflez <celso-CBGVyExNbRZeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 1.0-2
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
> Conflicts: cpufreqd, powernowd
> Filename: pool/main/c/cpudyn/cpudyn_1.0-2_i386.deb
> Size: 23860
> MD5sum: f00acb7da060f486024496fff79d800a
>  cpudyn controls the speed in Intel SpeedStep, Pentium 4 Mobile,
>  AMD Powernow, PowerPC, Crusoe LongRun machines with the cpufreq compiled
>  in the kernel, or with machines that support ACPI throtling. It saves
>  battery, lowers temperature, and can put the computer disks in standby
>  mode if a given period has passed without any I/O operation. It works
>  well even with journaled file systems such as Ext3, XFS, or ReiserFS.
>  Even supports the new interface for kernels 2.6.x
>
> or perhaps cpufreqd:
>
> Package: cpufreqd
> Section: admin
> Installed-Size: 208
> Maintainer: Mattia Dongili (ma.d.) <dongili-vcC760zL2fQ1GQ1Ptb7lUw at public.gmane.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 1.2.2-1
> Depends: debconf, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
> Filename: pool/main/c/cpufreqd/cpufreqd_1.2.2-1_i386.deb
> Size: 35736
> MD5sum: bcaa7b4f21b81d2c4a8c4ca2eea4b372
>  cpufreqd is meant to be a replacement of the speedstep applet you
>  can find on some other OS, it monitors CPU usage, battery level, AC
>  state and running programs and adjusts the frequency governor according
>  to a set of rules specified in the config file.
>  .
>  You need a CPUFreq driver and either APM, ACPI (a recent version) or PMU
>  enabled in your kernel in order for this daemon to work.
>  You can find a functional ACPI in 2.4.22-pre1 or later or as patches at
>  http://sf.net/projects/acpi while CPUFreq is available in 2.6 kernels or
as
>  patch at ftp://ftp.poupinou.org/cpufreq/.
>  .
>  Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpufreqd

> [...]
Thanks, lots of useful data!
One thing with my machine is that
/proc/acpi/thermal/thermal_zone/THR1/temperature returns a value with a "C"
appended, for example "74 C" and cpuspeed expects an integer...

I will try the packages you mention, thanks!

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>