cpuspeed

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 1 21:02:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 02:38:42PM -0500, Francois Ouellette wrote:
> I know there were a few things posted recently on this subject, but
> does anyone know how this thing works? I use FC3 on a ThinkPad with
> a P-III mobile, the DRIVER entry in /etc/cpuspeed.conf shows
> "powernow-k7" but changing the value does not seem to make any difference.
>
> The acpi functions works, we can see the state of the AC power from
> /proc/acpi, but cpuinfo always shows the processor running at half its
> speed.
>
> Any help will be appreciated!

Well powernow is of course AMD's system.  I guess you want something
that supports SpeedStep, which I think recent kernels have options for
supporting.  cpudyn might be helpful:

Package: cpudyn
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 120
Maintainer: Celso Gonz\uffff\ufffflez <celso-CBGVyExNbRZeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.0-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
Conflicts: cpufreqd, powernowd
Filename: pool/main/c/cpudyn/cpudyn_1.0-2_i386.deb
Size: 23860
MD5sum: f00acb7da060f486024496fff79d800a
 cpudyn controls the speed in Intel SpeedStep, Pentium 4 Mobile,
 AMD Powernow, PowerPC, Crusoe LongRun machines with the cpufreq compiled
 in the kernel, or with machines that support ACPI throtling. It saves
 battery, lowers temperature, and can put the computer disks in standby
 mode if a given period has passed without any I/O operation. It works
 well even with journaled file systems such as Ext3, XFS, or ReiserFS.
 Even supports the new interface for kernels 2.6.x

or perhaps cpufreqd:

Package: cpufreqd
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 208
Maintainer: Mattia Dongili (ma.d.) <dongili-vcC760zL2fQ1GQ1Ptb7lUw at public.gmane.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.2.2-1
Depends: debconf, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
Filename: pool/main/c/cpufreqd/cpufreqd_1.2.2-1_i386.deb
Size: 35736
MD5sum: bcaa7b4f21b81d2c4a8c4ca2eea4b372
 cpufreqd is meant to be a replacement of the speedstep applet you
 can find on some other OS, it monitors CPU usage, battery level, AC
 state and running programs and adjusts the frequency governor according
 to a set of rules specified in the config file.
 .
 You need a CPUFreq driver and either APM, ACPI (a recent version) or PMU
 enabled in your kernel in order for this daemon to work.
 You can find a functional ACPI in 2.4.22-pre1 or later or as patches at
 http://sf.net/projects/acpi while CPUFreq is available in 2.6 kernels or as
 patch at ftp://ftp.poupinou.org/cpufreq/.
 .
 Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpufreqd

Lennart Sorensen