why is this being done with .NET technology?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 1 02:47:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:29:29 -0500, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:25:13PM -0500, bob wrote:
> > Judging from the job ads on this site they are heavily committed to .NET.
> >
> > Maybe too late now but we should be lobbying for this to be based on open
> > formats and standards.
>
> Like java 10 years ago, it's Big Buzz Words, that managers like to hear,
> so they declare 'make this work using that new .net stuff' since
> obviously that new stuff must be better and save lots of time, and it
> should be easy to hire someone with 2 decades of expereince even if it
> was only announced last year. :)

Note that .NET was specifically designed to be an answer for those
that (rightly) have some discomfort about deploying systems in Java.

There's certainly a set of FUD that Microsoft is game to sell, but
there are some "issues" with Java.

Multiple implementations that don't interoperate that much more
perfectly than C apps; varying sets of libraries from varying vendors;
different subsets that get used in different places.  None of this is
necessarily disastrous; it doesn't prevent people from successfully
using Java.

But there is a perception of risk due to the proliferation of Java
implementations involving companies with differing interests.

.NET represents the natural progression for those moving from elder
versions of VB, and was designed to be comforting to those folk.  It's
billed (with some legitimacy) as an alternative to Java.

I'd nearly bet lunch that this organization used to use VB to build
front ends for applications, and if that be the case, .NET is indeed a
natural jump.

In a way, I don't see Java being _compellingly_ preferable, certainly
not to people that have long had "MSFT committments," and that are
comfortable with that.

Microsoft may have well and nefarious reasons to want to promote .NET;
to choose it is NOT an action of blind irrationality.

And of course it ought to allow porting to .MONO ;-)
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)