why is this being done with .NET technology?

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 5 19:30:36 UTC 2005

I had to take a C# class in college last semester, so I asked my
teacher if I could use Mono. He was overjoyed to hear that I'd be
doing the assignments in a Unix environment, and asked me to demo Mono
for the class. Unfortunately my laptop crapped out on me shortly after
that so the presentation never happened, but I found Mono to be a very
suitable replacement.
Frankly I'm excited about Mono's System.Windows.Forms implementation,
which is to be implemented within the excellent Cairo framework.
However, there's nothing stopping you from using GTK# on X11 or
Windows.

As for C#/.Net versus Java, why not use both? http://www.ikvm.net/

--
Get Firefox - Take back the Web