Samba and fstab

Martin Duclos tchitow-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 29 21:20:07 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with samba shares. I'm trying to get a samba share
mounted as a regular user but I get the following error:

mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

the mount cifs doc doesn't tell me much. Does anyone know how to get a
regular user to mount a samba share on fedora core 2? Used to work fine with
core 1. Actually, what I used to do was to set the UID to a local user so
that user coudl then own the share...

Here's what I have in fstab:

//computer1.home/duclosm    /mnt/duclosm              cifs
username=duclosm,user,noauto,rw 0 0

I know that the user parameter is used to allow users to run mount... I must
be missing something here...

Martin Duclos

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
first two months FREE*.