Linux based n-way router?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 24 16:27:07 UTC 2004

"Bruce Cowper" <bruce-OovZ+K7yJWjk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Scott,
>
> One issue that springs to mind is that this machine will be a single point
> of failure for the whole network. You would also be wise to look at your
> hardware as well to see if you can implement redundancy. Even mirrored
> drives can make the world of difference in the event of a problem.

I could be wrong but I thought the consensus on this list is that we don't
top-post cuz it breaks up the thread.

Anyway, it's easy enough to build a redundant router in a failover
configuration.  We have exactly this type of setup (using 4-port D-Link
cards) at several clients and it has worked very well.

> The overall idea is sound and has been used many times. I would simply
> advise that whatever flavour of OS you use, that you fully explore the
> implications this type of scenario may have to your network in terms of
> traffic, reliability and redundancy.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bruce

tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada