Linux based n-way router?

Bruce Cowper bruce-OovZ+K7yJWjk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 24 16:39:12 UTC 2004

> I could be wrong but I thought the consensus on this list is that we
> don't
> top-post cuz it breaks up the thread.

My apologies to all.. getting used to the group etiquette.

> Anyway, it's easy enough to build a redundant router in a failover
> configuration.  We have exactly this type of setup (using 4-port D-Link
> cards) at several clients and it has worked very well.

You are absolutely right, it is an ideal situation is to be able to provide
automatic failover on your network. Especially if you can also look at load
balancing as well. I have used similar scenarios many times to great effect.
However, if you can also build in a certain amount of hardware redundancy as
well with very little difference in cost or difficulty, so much the better.