Boot from Usb Key

Bruce Cowper bruce-OovZ+K7yJWjk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 22 22:34:11 UTC 2004

All,

You are correct. There are a number of USB keys that use a 'floppy
emulation' and report to the BIOS that they are floppy drives. Often the
devices that support this require to be formatted as such, which can affect
capacity. The problem tends to be support for bootable USB devices in
general, where some motherboards say they will boot from USB keys etc, but
in practice the standards vary so much that they only support a small range
of devices.

I have a number of customers that use USB keys for booting other operating
systems successfully, but thay all had issues with finding combinations of
motherboards, BIOS versions and USB keys that actually worked. One example
of a device a customer is sucessfully using is the SOYO Cig at r USB flash
storage device http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=240.

Thanks

Bruce