Boot from Usb Key

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 22 21:13:16 UTC 2004

On 22 Sep 2004, Tim Writer wrote:
> I have found that a _lot_ of systems (even some very new ones) won't boot
> from USB, even if the BIOS has such an option.  In addition, some boards will
> boot other USB devices (floppy, CD-ROM, etc.) but not a key.  This seems to
> be a geometry issue which can sometimes be worked around by installing
> another mbr...

The story I hear -- haven't experimented myself -- is that the BIOS, the
MBR, and the filesystem itself all have to mesh perfectly for it to work.
Not enough attention was paid to standardizing the details, and the result
is a mess, where the probability of everything cooperating properly
without expert attention is quite low.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org