Boot from Usb Key

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 22 20:53:24 UTC 2004

<jon.dmml-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have a 512 MB Lexar JumpDrive Usb Key and I would like to load a
> Live-Cd linux onto it so that I can access my own portable linux
> wherever I go. However, i have found that my computer doesn't seem to
> be so friendly in booting from Usb Drives. The option is available but
> when trying to boot from a version of Damn Small Linux, it doesn't
> seem to work. I can go into more detail, just ask for more
> information. Help would be greatly appreciated!

I have found that a _lot_ of systems (even some very new ones) won't boot
from USB, even if the BIOS has such an option.  In addition, some boards will
boot other USB devices (floppy, CD-ROM, etc.) but not a key.  This seems to
be a geometry issue which can sometimes be worked around by installing
another mbr.  Debian has an mbr package which contains DOS/Windows compatible
MBRs.  This allowed my notebook to boot one USB key (new 256MB Sandisk) that
was previously unbootable.  Another key (older 64MB), required installation
of spb2_mbr.sec from spblinux.

    http://www.8ung.at/spblinux/

YMMV. Good luck,

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada