64-bit CPU

Sergey Kuznetsov tlug-9a/WvBvX2Qpg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 16 02:33:23 UTC 2004

Christopher Browne wrote:

>>My wife's laptop has an athlon 64 which so far has 32bit debian i386,
>>32bit windows xp and 64bit windows xp on it.  So far no problems with
>>any of them, other than a lack of broadcom wireless drivers for 64bit
>>xp.  We haven't tried the 64bit debian on it yet, although sometime
>>soon we will.  Debian has about 97% of the packages built native 64bit
>>for it,
>>

>I see little point to jumping to 64 bit mode on the AMD64 laptops.
>
>- They don't support more than about 1GB of RAM, which means you're not
>  getting any improvement over 32 bit mode
>
>- Widening addresses to 64 bits and likely widening some instructions,
>  is likely to decrease performance somewhat.

There is no any decrease in speed, because the bus also 64-bit, it means
it can deliver 64-bits of data in one-two CPU clocks.
Therefore if it's architected correctly, in 32-bit mode can be delivered
2x32-bit words, it probably can give ~35-50% of
speed up for memory intence operations.

All the Best!
Sergey.