VPN and IPtables

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 15 19:41:52 UTC 2004

David Kreuter wrote:
> Hi: My linux machine has two NICs, one connnected to Rogers hispeed
> 24.x.x.x. Other NIC is
> on private 192.168.x.x.  Windows box is on 192.168.x.x and works fine
> using the internet through
> the linux machine - Iptables is setup and is NATting.
>
> Now I want to use windows machine with Cisco VPN client. Can't connect.
> If I directly connect
> the Windows box NIC to the 24. network it works of course.
> Can I train iptables to pass the encapsulated packets to/from my windows
> VPN client?

There are two concerns.  The first, is that the firewall should pass the
VPN.  You'll need to find out what port the VPN uses and verify that the
firewall is passing it.  The other, which may be more difficult to
resolve, is that the VPN might not like going through address
translation.  However, I'm not familiar with the Cisco VPN, so I don't
know if that is the case.