XP and Linux

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 10 04:57:58 UTC 2004

David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 15:24, John Wildberger wrote:
> > Rescue disks are fine if you have a setup that permits the use of them. My
> > system is a ThinkPad with only an external USB floppy.
>
> at ~50meg, damnsmalllinux was designed to fit on, and boot from, a USB
> key. It features a fill (if lightweight) desktop, and essential rescue
> tools ( like .. umm.. vi !)
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

RIP (Rescue Is Possible) is also ~50MB and boots from USB key or CD-ROM.

> > On the subject of USB floppies, does anyone know how to format them for a
> > Linux fs .

Sure, just use mke2fs, mkreiserfs, etc.

> but WHY ? It would only complicate things.

If you're sharing them with Windows, yes.  But if you want to preserve
permissions, ownership, etc. w/o resorting to a tar, cpio, etc. archive, a
native Linux file system is much more convenient.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada