XP and Linux

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 10 22:21:43 UTC 2004

> If you're sharing them with Windows, yes.  But if you want to preserve
> permissions, ownership, etc. w/o resorting to a tar, cpio, etc. archive, a
> native Linux file system is much more convenient.

My solution involves FAT16 formatted usb disk that mounts normally under
windoze but is mounted by automount under linux. automount.sh passes the
necessary user id and group to the mount options so the files appear to be
'mine'. I also disable exec. Running something coming from the outside by
clicking on a link gives me the shivers.

Peter