Hello, been a while, dual CPU mobos

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 17:30:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 12:01:58PM -0400, Michael Laccetti wrote:
> P4s rely on their raw speed to keep them competitive, because of their
> extremely long pipeline.  The newer versions are at least 20 stages, perhaps
> even longer.  AMD, and the P3s/Pentium Ms (not Pentium 4M) have a short
> pipeline.  Of course, they can't scale to be as speedy.  My Pentium M 1.7
> competes quite well with my Pentium 4 2.8 in terms of compilation times, the
> only thing that holds it back is the DDR 333 vs. the DDR 480 (yay
> overclocking) in my workstation.  That, and the laptop HD is quite a bit
> slower than the workstation.

Current "prescott" P4's have 31 stage.  Previous generation was 20
stage.

This may explain why same clock speed "prescott" chips have often been
slower than the "northwood" chips, although having larger cache in
general helped out in other cases.  Very confusing and hard to
generalize performance from I guess.

Opteron/Athlon 64 currently runs 12 stage pipeline as far as I know.

I know which one I want.

Lennart Sorensen