Power Surge Protection

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 16:42:12 UTC 2004

Devin Whalen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> My motherboard just recently blew out (or whatever you want to call
> it).  My computer just stopped working and when I looked at the
> motherboard there was this thick grey dust all over it (well centred
> around the cpu).  Needless to say, I had to buy a new motherboard and in
> turn a new cpu,memory,power supply and hey why not a new case...so 400
> and some dollars later and I have a working machine again.  I was told
> that it was probably a power surge.  Currently, I have a power bar, but
> I am told that this is not enough.  What should I get to ensure this
> doesn't happen again?  What does everyone here use?  Thanks.

You can get proper surge protectors, not those cheap power bars, with
MOVs in them.  However, don't be too hasty in your conclusions.  You
mentioned dust, which can cause the CPU to overheat, or it could have
been something unrelated to the environment.  Some components fail on
their own.  I recall a problem with capacitors blowing, a few years ago.