(OT) VoIP

Lance Nichols Ozymandias-Ida6Ik9yc6yFX2APIN6yfw at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 8 17:17:07 UTC 2004

Frank, I am running a VoIP gateway from Primus, assigned with a Edmonton phone
number to help keep in touch with friends and family back in Edmonton. Works
pretty good with my Rogers Cable connection and it is behind my Linksys
router, just try to avoid too many other bandwidth eating things at the same
time, such as VNCing to a dying computer owned by family while talking to
them....

Disadvantages include: you can't use modems on VoIP, so if you have to remote
to any systems via analog modem, keep an analog line. If you have a security
alarm that is monitored remotely that will not work either, so you require a
analog line for that as well.

That being said, I think Primus offers couple of good deals on DSL and VoIP if
both are available in your area. If you want to drop analog completely, there
might be savings by bundling DSL and VoIP from a provider.

Lance Nichols
Markham