hello again - and a question about Rogers

Adil Kodian akodian-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 2 15:15:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:46:20 -0400, The Edge of the Ice
<jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> AFAIK it's technically possible for cablemodems in general to go
> faster, since I'm
> remembering something about the coax pipe running at 30Mbps; I've never
> had solid proof that any modems have been made with more than a 10bT ethernet

AFAIK cable modems cant support more than 10mbps because it is a
csma-cd shared medium over which they transmit. For 100mbps, the
number of collisions would be too high on shared medium. (thats why
you have switched ethernet now). To run 100mbps, they would need to
provide a dedicated channel to each household all the way to the
switch. And at 4.7mhz per channel, they will need a lot more cable
switches.

> --
> taa
> /*eof*/

Microsoft Windows: A thirty-two bit extension to a sixteen-bit patch to
an eight-bit operating system coded for a four-bit microprocessor by a
two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition