hello again - and a question about Rogers

The Edge of the Ice jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 2 15:21:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:15:21 -0600, Adil Kodian <akodian-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> AFAIK cable modems cant support more than 10mbps because it is a
> csma-cd shared medium over which they transmit. For 100mbps, the
> number of collisions would be too high on shared medium. (thats why
> you have switched ethernet now). To run 100mbps, they would need to
> provide a dedicated channel to each household all the way to the
> switch. And at 4.7mhz per channel, they will need a lot more cable
> switches.

Ah, but I'm not talking transmit speed, only download-to-the-cablemodem speed.
There's no issue with collisions on the down pipe, since it's all
being transmitted
from one central place (the CO). The upstream pipes have always been smaller
(768kbps on the old uncapped modems).

And back in that day, cablemodems really WERE fast, because so few people
had them, and so few people were online.  It's funny to think that
they've actually gotten slower in some ways...  ;)

--
taa
/*eof*/