Power [Mostly OT]

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 31 16:30:16 UTC 2004

phil wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2004, at 10:14 AM, James Knott wrote:
>
>> For example, if you entire house was hit, a good bet would be outside
>> problems. However, since that doesn't seem to be the case, the problem
>> is likely something along the lines of a defective breaker, house
>> wiring or perhaps a power bar or extension cord.
>

> It's definitely happening all over the house on different circuits, but
> not to everything attached to any given circuit.  Hard to be sure, but
> it's not obviously related to load inside the house since it seems
> equally likely whether I've got "everything" turned on or just a bare
> minimum.

What do you mean by "circuit"?  Everything on one breaker?  On one
outlet?  Both halves of an outlet?  Are there any power bars in use?  It
could be one side of the standard split 240V feed.  If this is the
cause, it would affect everything on one side of the breaker panel, but
not the other.   Please try and isolate *EXACTLY* how the various
devices are connected, otherwise we're only guessing.  If the problem is
beyond your abilities to identify, please call an electrician.