PHP Nuke alternatives

Matthew Godycki mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 29 16:25:49 UTC 2004

I've been thinking of finally getting around to using
some sort of an open source portal for my web needs.
I'd been working on my own PHP frameworks for quite
some time now, but I find that I'm no longer really
willing to keep re-inventing the wheel and build user,
article, security, gallery, news, etc components for
my site.

I'd been eyeing PHP Nuke (www.phpnuke.org) for a
number of months as an alternative that I could use,
and then customize to fit my needs.  Unfortunately, it
now looks like in the spirit of open source (insert
sarcasm here) you need to pay for the latest version
of PHP Nuke.

Whatever other portal system I would use would need to
address the following:
- user and security
- articles and news
- galleries
- forums
- easy customization (addition of custom components,
etc)

Coding has never been a problem for me, I'm pretty
well versed in that, that's not the issue here.  I'd
simply rather focus (with what limited time I have) on
content and more interesting custom code.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
-Matt