Caffe Bickford is now linuxcaffe, and you're invited !

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 15:47:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:07:26 -0400, Austin <aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 18:40 -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
> > Rather than the typical rows of terminals, I plan to aquire a motly
> > assortment of elderly thinkpad laptops
>
> Cool.  Very durable machines.  Snazzy idea to use laptops too.
>
> > (233mhz+)
>
> Let's hope that's a really big "+".  You'd probably want 500 MHz minimum
> for a local installation.  233 might be enough if you're running X over
> ethernet from a master server though.

Now that I think about it, I'd be much more worried about the battery life.
Many of the thinkpads at work here have had batteries with a fully-charged to
fully-drained time of around 10 minutes, and they're all "rather newer" than
even 500MHz (of the T2x era).  My T30 is still going quite fine, though.

This isn't a problem if you expect them all to be plugged in all the time (even
when across the street), but might be a concern if you expect people to MOVE
from one place to another.  And batteries are not as cheap as you might like.

Just keep that in mind. :)

--
taa
/*eof*/