LILO for Debian

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 03:34:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 05:51:43AM -0400, John Wildberger wrote:
> Can anyone suggest what parameters are required in  the lilo.conf file to
> recognize a debian installation. What should I write  into 'initrd= ???' and
> into 'append= ??'. With all the variations I tried so far, I cannot get my MS
> PS/2 Wheelmouse to work.

Well append= is almost always blank unless you have odd hardware or
requirements.

initrd= should point at /boot/initrd.img-version where version is the
kernel version (look in /boot for the image file).

Making a ps/2 wheel mouse work should simply involve setting the mouse
protocol to imps2 in X and/or gpm, and if using both of those, running
the gpm repeater device (/dev/gpmdata) and pointing X at that device
(since ps/2 device in 2.4 and older does not share).

2.6 kernels need hid/input/mousedev support loaded.  Recent 2.6 kernels
supposedly use /dev/input/mice for combined data from all connected mice
and always speaks imps2 protocol no matter what type the mouse is.

There is nothing debian specific about any of the above.

Lennart Sorensen