Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 16 21:42:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:33:24 -0400, Igor Denisov <denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Rather than create whole new GUI, can you not just use the existing
> components and bring your vision to life by modifying them? (that is,
> without watering down your idea or making this project into a desktop
> theme)

Sure, if the lead developer says that is the way to go. I don't
necessarily need to recreate the wheel. I want a GUI that fits the
specs, and I'm not worried about how we get around to doing that.

> What exactly is the point/goal of this new GUI?
> Do you want it to become a major alternative or just a fun and creative concept?

Ideally, a major alternative.

William Park wrote:
> Agree with your analysis, but disagree about solution.  Once MS-Office,
> particularly MS-Word, is ported to Linux, nobody will even miss Gnome
> and KDE.

I'm not holding my breath for that one!!!

> You also need money.

Don't we all! But in this sense, why do you say that? This is an open
source project, and I'm proposing to do this with volunteer effort.

Thanks for your responses thus far.
Aaron.