Linux evangelization

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 15 13:13:50 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 07:24:56AM -0400, Francois Ouellette wrote:

> > some managers of small businesses..
> >
> > they are not too techy so i must somehow equate everything to PROFIT..
> > CASH...
> > INCOME... you know what i mean...
> >

> Talk about the cost of ownership of Linux vs. cost of ownership of any
> other platform! For servers and clients. I just installed SuSE (personal)
> on a desktop, to get the same set of tools for a MS workstation (i.e. all
> of the office tools, etc) it would cost over $1500! This one costs $0. It
> installs in a zip and looks awesome! And does not require a very powerful
> machine to run, unlike Windoze. Everything boils down to lower costs.

Especially if you frame this as "cost of owning Linux vs.
the cost of renting proprietary".  The rights retained through
the license agreement for much proprietary software restricts
the amount of ownership you can possibly have.  So, include
the relative cost of moving to a different system (relicensing
effort at a minimum, possibly also there will be surcharges
to the original costs) - most businesses at least hope that
they will grow.