Linux evangelization

Duncan MacGregor dbmacg-j4iOX5ZKO4mumhQq9Hcxfg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 16 17:34:55 UTC 2004

Most non-techies do not really understand what an "Operating System" is.
They understand lower cost, viruses, and software bugs, however.

Probably worth mentioning is the fact that many important FOSS application
packages run equally well under Windows and the Mac. So consideration of FOSS
need not involve wholesale migration.

A good approach to avoiding viruses and spyware is to completely avoid using
Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook. Use Mozilla or Firefox
instead, along with any good "non-Outlook" email package, like, say Pegasus.
Note that the problems with IE and Outlook frequently involve email messages
that can take control of your computer without any action on your part.

If you stay with a Microsoft windows operating system, you must of course be
very careful to keep up-to-date with every patch issued by Microsoft. You
must be careful to run AdAware, Spybot, and firewall software like ZoneAlarm,
along with an Antivirus package like Norton or McAfee. If you keep using
Microsoft Office, you must reconcile yourself to never using macros, because
macros are a favourite way of attacking a remote computer.
Instead of Microsoft Office, use Open Office or Star Office.

You can try the new environment easily, using a Live CD distibution, like
Knoppix, or Mandrakesoft Move.

Duncan MacGregor