What are your favorite fax programs these days?

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 14 00:27:22 UTC 2004

At 02:40 PM 10/13/04 -0400, you wrote:
>We use hylafax for all our offices. It will run on a basic pentium and
>never fails. We send over 2000 pages / month and receive about 600 /
>month. It can be installed as a RPM or you can install it on a Debian box
>using apt.

I will try a few different packages just to get to know them and compare.
Your word on Hylafax in a business environment is encouraging.
I dl'd all 7 disks for Debian, too ---- just haven't burned disks yet so I
may get a Debian box going too.

>It works best using ISA modems (not winmodems). Client software for the
>pc's can be Cypheus (fancy) or Whfc (windows for hylafax client) a really

What a dumb idea it was to realize a high speed application in more
software than hardware anyway. I had a bad experience buying a PC a few
years ago with one and wouldn't use a Winmodem ever -- unless you paid me
--- then I would go out and buy a hardware modem and use it anyway! I will
look into Cypheus, Whfc and Ktcl, too.

>basic interface. For the linux box use the KTcl package for ease and
>simplicity of operation.
>
>Add a scanner for tif production and you are really in business to start
>blasting faxes all over the universe.
>
>Dave

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bill