can't exec /bin/login

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 9 17:56:10 UTC 2004

Something happened this morning and now I can't login to my Gentoo Linux
laptop. I guess that it is a PATH problem. The machine boots to a login
prompt, but when I type a user name the system sits for a while and then
re-outputs the login prompt. The following message is logged:
tty1: can't exec /bin/login: No such file or directory

I booted the system using a boot disk and confirmed that /bin/login
exists. I was unable to chroot as I got a message that the kernel
version on the boot disk was too low.

Any ideas?